just wanna make some hot pocketsssssssssssssss
Six amazing orchids that look like animals:
- Monkey Face Orchid (Dracula simia) - These rare orchids only grow in the cloud forests of southeastern Ecuador and Peru at elevations of 1,000-2,000 meters on the side of mountains. Smells like a ripe orange.
- Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera) - It resembles a female bumblebee visiting a pink flower to attract the attention of male bees.
- Pink Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis sp.) - Looks like it has a little bird’s head guarding the flower nectar.
- White Egret Orchid (Habenaria radiata) - The flower looks like the bird is spreading its fluffy white feathers, getting ready to take off.
- Holy Ghost Orchid(Peristeria elata) - has a beautiful dove shaped center.
- Flying Duck Orchid (Caleana major). It’s a small orchid, about 50 cm tall, that grows in eastern and southern Australia.
^These are so cool! Orchids are an amazing group of plants — they are often highly endemic and specialized; many have very specific mutualisms with insects and fungi. Unfortunately, this high degree of specialization means they are vulnerable to extinction.
Happy New Year!!